Hero Arts Monarch Butterfly with Nuvo Glimmer Paste

Howdy! I am over at a2z Scrapbooking with a glittery butterfly. So pretty in real life and very hard to capture it well in a photograph. Later today I will be adding a photo taken in natural light.  I have added two photos I took outside at different times today. The conclusion is that glitter like this just looks way better in person.

For my card I really wanted to use some of the Nuvo Glimmer Paste. You can get the pretty Sapphire Blue Glimmer Paste in the a2z Etsy shop. I tried a couple different things but some were not working to well. But then this happened. The Nuvo Glimmer Paste is the “background” of the butterfly.

I created the blue part of the butterfly by cutting a butterfly out using the Hero Arts Monarch Butterfly die also available in the a2z Etsy shop. I took out the pretty butterfly and used that open space as a stencil.

I centered it nice over my paper and used temporary adhesive to keep all the edges down. I filled it in with the Nuvo Glimmer Paste. Then I removed the stencil and washed my tools immediately. That stuff sticks very well.

On the butterfly die cut I put an adhesive sheet on the front of the paper before die cutting. I removed the release paper and now there is adhesive on the front of the butterfly. I used some Elizabeth Craft Designs microfine glitter all over it. You should rub it in good to make it shine and stick well. There is a mostly purple and a bit of pink glitter. I am not the biggest glitter fan but using it this way I really like it. If you need some tips on glitter handling El at Elizabeth Craft Designs has some great video’s that really help with keeping the glitter under control. I saw her demo at Scrapbook Expo one year and I still remember that. She has some great tips and some great looks with her fab glitter.

Then I glued the butterfly outline over the Glitter Paste background I created. I cut around the butterfly with a rectangle die. I put that on a pretty purple patterned paper and added a die cut sentiment.

The two outdoor shots. Let me know if you like one over the other. I did not resize them as low as my first photo above in the post.

Supplies:

 

Pearl Alcohol Ink & Hero Arts Monarch Butterfly Die

Howdy! How is your summer going? Mine was super busy. I had a big birthday with a surprise party, I spent the weekend with my family who came for the party, then my Dad had a big birthday so I flew down to spend some time with him and then came back and got packed up to go to Lake Tahoe for the 4th to get away from the loud fireworks that frighten my dog.

Here are my dogs playing in Lake Tahoe. The black and white dog is the one that really dislikes the fireworks. Her name is Lucy and the brown and black dog is Aspen.

Now I am home with no trips or things like that so I have more time to play with my craft stuff. Recently I used pearl alcohol inks on the silver sparkle paper and loved that look and decided to try the silver foil cardstock. These are both made to work with alcohol ink. Here is what I came up with.

Pearl Alcohol Ink

For the first step I took the silver foil finish cardstock and dropped 2 different pearl alcohol ink colors on it. I also used a thing that blows air (actually for cleaning your camera) to move the ink around along with adding some drops of alcohol blending solution. I was really happy with the way the paper looked.

I cut out the butterfly using the Hero Arts Monarch Butterfly die which is available in the a2z Scrapbooking Etsy store. Use my discount code karen15 to get 15% off your purchase of $25 or more. You could take out all the little pieces and have more of an outline butterfly but I was so happy with all the color I left them all in. I also die cut the sentiment from that same piece of paper.

For the background I used an embossing folder. I decided to use the debossed side of the paper for the background. I added some drops of the pearl alcohol ink onto the background panel. I added a little alcohol blending solution to the alcohol ink on my mat and tried to spatter it but that doesn’t really work. I was dipping an embossing tool in the alcohol ink and kind of dotting it on. I attached this to the base of the card which is a dark purple and hard to see in the photo.

I then glued the butterfly and sentiment to the card. When I was about to apply the glue to the back of the butterfly I was hoping none of the pieces came out. Only one did and I just dropped some glue in that spot and put that piece back in.

Submitted to the Love Handmade Cards July Challenge in Flickr.

Supplies: